Wednesday 27 August 2008

Why I Love Bread

I have lot say about bread, so I am gonna do it in 3x parts over the next week.

I love to make my own bread, by hand. I find it really rewarding, when you put in the time and hard work of kneading and to see it rise. Then to taste the first slice, still warm with melting butter, for me that is heavenly.


I don’t really look down my nose at people that use bread machines. As I played about with my dads machine, way back when . It is partly what got me excited about bread and made me want to advance to making my bread by hand. Ultimately they have done some good as it leads to people not buying as much poor quality supermarket bread.

People have been baking bread for thousands of years, taking what they grew in the fields and turning it into food and nourishment. Bread was the building block of societies past and present. That’s why it was mentioned in the lords payer and the Magna Carta. You only need to look at how we have adopted Bread into the English language and into a multitude of sayings like, "Bread-winner", "Putting Bread on the table", "Greatest thing since sliced bread". "Upper crust" is derived from how the well off took the top half of the loaf , the softest part and the harder and often burnt base was given to the less well off. Bread was used as a currency, that explains why bread is often used as slang for cash/money.

Bread is the cornerstone of one the most important foodstuffs we put in our mouths……The Sandwich.

Check back for Part 2: The Sandwich in a few days.



No comments: